Friday, September 24, 2010

90/10 What's Your Ratio?

As I was drinking my morning coffee I was able to ignore my children to flip through my October issue of Family Circle.  There was a little blurb in there about exercise and eating right.  It said you should focus on a 90/10 ratio.  Basically you should eat right and exercise 90% of the time and let your-self splurge 10% of the time.  So my question is how does one break down their ratio. 
1- Do you do it by a week?  You eat right, exercise, and allow yourself to splurge and not exercise one/two days on the weekend...
2- Do you work on a 10 day cycle?  Allow 9 days of awesome "behavior" and 1 day of PURE gluttony?
3- *Do you do it by the day?  Allow yourself to eat right, get daily exercise but totally give yourself the right to have WHATEVER you want for dessert?  Wine and chocolate please! 

(*can you guess which I choose?)

It is a good guide line to follow.  I could however see how one could skew this in their favor.  I am the type who does not limit myself to what I eat.  If I want it, I eat it.  I find that if I do not allow myself to have treats then I splurge when I get my hands on it.  So not good!  I am so #3.  I think I eat right, I allow myself treats every now and then, and I exercise.  Now that I am back and work I wish I had more time for my cardio, but I love my strength training so I am always sure to get that in.  I will admit to you all that after my first was born I took a long exercise hiatus.  I didn't work out, sure I walked with my son in the stroller but I didn't call it a "true" me workout.  I love the sweat, I love the burning feeling!  Maybe some of you might think that is nuts.  That's me though.  After my daughter was born I was out walking with both kiddos, once given the okay to exercise, I go back into running, then I started to strength train and I realized how much I missed having the feeling that my body is strong.  I got the itch to do more so I did my first sprint tri, I L-O-V-E-D it.  I am going to end my ramble.  I did go off on a tangent, so sorry! 
Have a great weekend!  Eat, drink, and be merry as you exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment